Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I Need This...


I have a mortal fear of being buried alive, so you can probably guess that I didn't love the scene in 'Kill Bill, Volume 2' where Uma Thurman is buried in a coffin and has to dig her way out.

I suppose there are plenty of other people like me. Apparently, premature burial was George Washington's greatest fear, and is quoted as saying:
"Have me decently buried, but do not let my body be put into a vault in less than two days after I am dead."

Shoot, Edgar Allen Poe practically made a living out of writing grotesque stories featuring premature burial ("The Premature Burial", "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Cask of Amontillado")

It was only a matter of time, then, that this idea cropped up:
A cemetery in Santiago, Chile, is offering its clients coffins with sensors that detect any movement inside after they have been buried. According to a spokesperson for the cemetery, ‘We want to be pioneers and avoid catalepsy cases, in which a person gets completely paralyzed for a few hours and ends up buried as if they were dead. We want families to rest assured that if a case like this ever happens, their loved ones will be immediately rescued.

All I have to say about this is: I'm looking into possibly moving to Santiago, Chile.

No comments: