Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Sprinkle of This, a Dash of That, and a Soupcon of the Other

  • Don't know if any of you caught this great article from Dennis Dodd, who is a writer for CBS Sportsline. It's a terrific essay on why there have been so many upsets in college football this season. I learned a lot, but then again, I learn a lot from doing the maze game on the back of my Lucky Charms box.

  • From the "Welcome to the YouBeQB Top-10 Leaderboard" File: Pretty amazing performance by the YouBeQB player known as 'MBrum' - now ranked #8 on the Overall Leaderboard. What's so amazing about this, you ask? MBrum has managed to amass more than 41,000 points by playing only *18* games. That's astounding, especially when you consider some of the folks at the top of the list have cranked through 150 games or more. MBrum must have hit a bunch of 'accelerators' by correctly predicting a long string of plays one after another; his (or her) % Correct sits at a sparkling 44%. I've sent some fan mail of my own along to MBrum, and even asked for some pointers about how to be a more effective QB on the site, but MBrum won't return my emails. I heard a rumor that MBrum is looking into a restraining order against me. I can't help it - I just want to show my admiration; I'm not trying to be a stalker.


  • Pretty impressive stuff: the 6 sacks that Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora recorded against the Eagles last week were the most by a single player in the NFL since the late Derrick Thomas tallied 7 against Dave Krieg and the Seahawks on Veteran's Day 1990. Umenyiora is a beast and he put on a clinic against young Winston Justice.

Osi


  • In a related story, Osi Umenyiora's name sounds so ethnic that, immediately after the game ended, Angelina Jolie filed a petition attempting to adopt him.

  • I read a story in the newspaper recently that contained an interview with Michael Flatley (the Irish jig, 'Lord of the Dance' guy). Dude had been out of the news for a while, so the interviewer asked him what he had been up to lately - and Flatley responded that he had just suffered through an extremely difficult divorce. Alright, I'll ask: You mean to tell me that guy is straight?


Flatley


---JohnnyUnitas

No comments: